kT LindSAy. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Saturday, March 08, 2008

A bit of music and fashion...

I've been too busy over the past few weeks to day any photography or digital imaging, work stuff. I've also become quite obsessed with the prospect of buying my first DSLR (planned adoption end of March the pennies permitting!), so much so that my poor old camera has been snubbed the more I read about Nikons and Canons which do not only have super-sonic image stabilisation, bags of megapixels, and an ISO bigger than 400, but will also walk the dog and give you a foot massage at the end of the day!

I shouldn't have been so harsh on my poor compact Olympus however. After being inspired by Portishead on Jools Holland, a crazy model who takes photos in designer clothes stores' changing rooms and armed with the magic of photoshop, it and I managed to produce some decent pictures.

This one is called "Can't anybody see", a lyric taken from Portishead's track "Roads". It's a bit of a juxtaposition with the model's bright clothes and plain background, she can be seen but no one sees her, see can see but she chooses not to look. There are also a few other lines in the lyrics that make sense with this picture, about internalization and being alone. Her clothes and pose are strong, but her own composition is not.



To begin with I had very strong preference for this picture to be in colour, however I tried it in monochrome and really like the high contrast effect (below). I've entered that into this weeks Digital Photography School Competition on monochrome.

No comments: