kT LindSAy. Get yours at bighugelabs.com

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

Words and pictures, pictures and words

I'm in a bit of a quandary as to what this blog is about. It's not really an attempt at an online diary like the famous Petite Anglaise or Belle de Jour.
May be I could write more about my personal life, but its easy to forget that a blog can be accessed by thousands and thousands or people, some of whom know me, work with me, sleep with me - is it fair to drag them into my virtual world for all and sundary to see? There could be all kinds of fall-out. May be I will go down this path at some point, but now isn't the time.

This blog is a bit of a miss-match of my thoughts, the things that are important to me and the things I find interesting, all illuminated with pictures. But it is the pictures that give me ideas what to write about, not the other way around. I don't think - I want to write about air pollution and go take a picture of some clouds. It's more like I export the photos to my computer and think hey that one's quite good, hmmm it makes me think about that conversation I had with my guy the other day about how dirty the air is in Oxford...and so I write.

Is this blog about words or pictures? I'm finding it difficult to categorise. Am I trying publish words, or photographs? Well, neither, but both. Pictures with words. Words with pictures. You know.

I'm starting to think that may be there are too many words. Is it right to explain what a picture is about? Should it be more about interpretation (like a poem)?

This also gets me onto thinking about my gallery in Flickr and the tyranny of titles and tags. Do these force the reader/viewer to interpret the photo in a particular way? Do they mean more with no context?

Looking back I don't think many of my entries are specifically about the pictures that accompany them, rather they are about the words that the pictures draw out of me, my own interpretation of my own photographs, knowing where they come from yet taking something extra out of my viewing of them. Some are about specific events, and I guess those are more diary-like. May be I should drop those entries, or am I that bothered about being a puritist. At the end of the day should I choose to be either a picture maker or a writer?

No comments: